andrenobrega

Omnilogikos: literati

I'll post here all the book related content that I usually share on my blog, be it comments, reviews, quotes or whatever else.

L'Assommoir (The Dram Shop)
Robin Buss, Émile Zola
Dicionário de Lugares Imaginários
Carlos Vaz Marques, Ana Falcão Bastos, Alberto Manguel, Gianni Guadalupi
Progress: 60/1040 pages

The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch

The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch - Dave McKean, Neil Gaiman I bought this book as a present for a great friend of mine, but I couldn't help but read it before I actually gave it to her. The cover is itself a work of art and the illustrations and overall design are just perfect. They are as adequate to the way the story is told as I have ever seen. (though I admit I haven't read many graphic novels and my opinion might be biased)The novel is a work of genius.You see the narrator both as a young boy and the adult he became, telling you some events of his early life and his family's history while showing you parts of Mr. Punch's puppet show. Even reading it as quickly as I had to, the connections between them and the thoughts and feelings they brought up left me smiling breathlessly, in pure exhilaration.I was already a fan of Neil Gaiman, but this made me look at his work from a very different perspective and much more attention.(or will make me look, I have seen only a bit of what he has done, and completely read even less)I recommend this to anyone who is either a fan of Gaiman's and Mckean's work, of just to anyone who is looking for a graphic novel that is more that just another one.