andrenobrega

Omnilogikos: literati

I'll post here all the book related content that I usually share on my blog, be it comments, reviews, quotes or whatever else.

L'Assommoir (The Dram Shop)
Robin Buss, Émile Zola
Dicionário de Lugares Imaginários
Carlos Vaz Marques, Ana Falcão Bastos, Alberto Manguel, Gianni Guadalupi
Progress: 60/1040 pages
SPOILER ALERT!

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay - Suzanne  Collins

I've written a review of the whole trilogy now published on my blog. Here is the excerpt referring to Mockingjay:

This was for me, undoubtedly, the best book in the series, not because it ties up loose ends, not because of the ending itself, but because Suzanne Collins perfected her writing and the way she led the story allowed her to create moments when you can't stop reading, you almost can't breathe, your skin has goosebumps, your heart races but you just have to keep reading. It took me two nearly sleepless nights to finish Mokingjay. I believe that if I didn't have to go to work I'd have skipped sleeping all together to keep on reading. This is a book (and avoid these SPOILERS if you haven't read it) where you are presented to the true hardship of being part of a revolution and waging a war against a system like this. People die, decisions that lead to murder are made, friends die, people are manipulated, manoeuvres to achieve power are intermingled with the revolution effort. Yes, reading about people fighting against the authoritarian government felt good. But what felt amazing was how I suffered through it with Katniss. Because I'm sick and tired of storytelling where revolutions are shown as a soft breeze that blows the pollution away. War is bad either way, even when its purpose is good, even if you are fighting for basic rights, for freedom, for lives, the war will be bad. And even when surrounded by the very people who stemmed a revolution, one should always remember that one of them might be waiting to replace the leader instead of replacing the system and might use everything and everyone he can in his own game. Again I should compliment the author on the rest of the characters. People in this story seem real, they sometimes do what you expect, other times surprise you completely, some are more intuitive, others are stupid and others yet are downright mad. As a last note, and because this is presented as a young adult book, I have to make a reference to the romance. Yes, in the middle of this, just as in real life, there is romance and yes, it develops as the story goes right up to the very end but it is by no means the main focus of the storytelling or even the drive behind the events as one might be used to in other books referred to as young adult literature.

From The Hunger Games to Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins reminds us that the world is a board, that politics are chess, that pawns are sacrificed, people are really knocked over in plays for power but that in the end, victory is possible and some fights might be needed to transform society into a better place for us.

Source: http://omnilogikos.blogspot.com/2012/04/hunger-games-by-suzanne-collins.html